Our research strives to achieve a molecular-level understanding of solvation and transport in aqueous and polymeric systems, with applications ranging from the prediction of protein interactions to the design of advanced materials for water purification and renewable energy.
To study these biological, nanoscopic, and polymeric systems, our group combines principles of statistical mechanics and liquid state theory with state-of-the-art molecular modeling and atomistic simulation techniques. We interface closely with experimentalists, both to realize our predictions and to refine our theoretical models.
- Jeongmoon and Amish presented at IBP 2022. Jeongmoon won the IBP 2022 Biointerphases Presentation Award.
- Lilia and Aniket presented at the 2022 GRS and GRC on Water and Aqueous Solutions.
- Aniket received the Early Career Research Award and won the Best Poster Prize at FOMMS 2022.
- Amish co-organized the Telluride Workshop on Hydrophobicity.
- Amish received the 2022 Lindback Award for Distinguished Teaching.
- Lilia received the 2022 Penn Prize for Excellence in Teaching by Graduate Students.
- PLUMED INDUS is publicly available, find it here: INDUS Code
Recent publications View all
NB Rego, AL Ferguson and AJ Patel. "Learning the relationship between nanoscale chemical patterning and hydrophobicity", Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 119 (48) e2200018119 (2022).
AU Thosar and AJ Patel. "Hydration determines anion accumulation", Nature Chemistry, 14 (1), 8–10 (2022).
UR Gabinet, C Lee, R Poling-Skutvik, D Keane, NK Kim, R Dong, Z Vicars, Y Cai, AU Thosar, A Grun, SM Thompson, AJ Patel, CR Kagan, RJ Composto, and CO Osuji. "Nanocomposites of 2D-MoS2 Exfoliated in Thermotropic Liquid Crystals", ACS Materials Letters, 3(6), 704–712 (2021).
NB Rego, E Xi, and AJ Patel. "Identifying Hydrophobic Protein Patches to Inform Protein Interaction Interfaces", Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 118 (6) e2018234118 (2021).
H Jiang, AJ Patel. "Recent Advances in Estimating Contact Angles Using Molecular Simulations and Enhanced Sampling Methods", Current Opinion in Chemical Engineering, 23, 130-137 (2019).